Sunday, June 12, 2011

A few tips from a pro...

I am currently in the market for a new vehicle, and the sales people that I am dealing with often leave me with blog fodder.  Today I was given incorrect information, made to leave my wife and toddler in the sun, out-right lied to, and so much more...but my best teachable moment was on a test drive yesterday.

I was driving on 66 in a very under-powered vehicle and trying to get into the exit lane.  I didn't see the vehicle in my blind spot and nearly drove them off the road.  I was COMPLETELY at fault, yet my sales person decided to try to blame the other driver.  Now I can understand not trying to make your customer feel bad, and not saying anything negative about them...but at the same time making racist statements about anyone is not a good tactic to try and close a sale.

Sales professionals, don't do the following: Swear, curse, use profane or vulgar language, symbols, gestures, pictures...need I go on?  Don't make racist, sexist, ageist, or other derogatory bigoted or inflammatory comments.  Don't complain about or badmouth your boss, coworker, competitor, relative, or pretty much anyone.  I am far from the perky optimist that you always meet working at a certain famous chicken place (the one that it always closed on Sunday), but you are rarely going to impress a customer and win the sale by doing any of the above.

If you can't be pleasant at least be professional.  I know that he might not be the most exciting of sales-people, but imagine Bruce Wayne's butler Alfred.  Be him.

No comments:

Post a Comment